“Now… to our new students, welcome, to our old students, welcome back! Another year full of magical education awaits you…”
– Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
No one puts it better than Dumbledore. As summer comes to a close and classes begin, we’d like to welcome all of you back to Williams – with a special shoutout to the Class of 2018! As we all settle in to classes, new dorm rooms, entries, and dining halls, we wanted to provide you with an update on the “State of the Campus” – in other words, what College Council and various student/faculty/staff committees have been up to.
Four years ago, former College Council Co-Presidents Ifiok Inyang ’11 and Emanuel Yekutiel ’11 proposed that College Council update the student body on the state of Council’s work on a regular basis. The tradition of periodic emails from Council Co-Presidents has continued ever since. However, though these emails were very informative and useful, there was no easily-distributed centralized summary of the information available. Furthermore, there’s way more going on on campus than is released in any organized fashion that any of us could ever figure out alone. Therefore, last year, CC Co-Presidents Adrian Castro ’14 and Max Heninger ‘14 introduced the Mid-Year Report.
Here you will find the College Council 2014 Mid-Year Report. It contains the following information:
- A Semester in Review: An overview of Council’s main projects in Spring 2014
- College Council Committee Updates: An update on the activities of each of College Council’s 5 subcommittees, including an overview of our finances
- Student-Faculty Committee Updates: End-of-year reports from Williams’s student-faculty committees, which touch all areas of campus
- Resolutions: The resolutions CC passed in Spring 2014
- Looking Ahead: Campus-Wide Updates: A bunch of things have changed around campus over the summer, and we’ve already got a few projects lined up for the fall. Here’s a list of some things to look out for (including a sneak preview about CC Elections)!
Though we aren’t witches and wizards, there’s no doubt that Williams is magical in its own way. We hope that the beauty of the Berkshires, the wisdom of your professors, and the awesomeness of your peers make you as happy to be back in the purple valley as we are.
Wishing you all a happy, healthy, and exciting Fall 2014,
Emily Dzieciatko ’15 and Erica Moszkowski ‘15
Your College Council Co-Presidents